Program planning is carried out by the Office of the CRO. The objective is to coordinate the experimental physics program at the laboratory.
Program planning provides a link between ongoing and planned experiments and the Directorate, by:
- Establishing priorities between accelerator studies and experiments and among experiments, in consultation with the Director, and resolving conflicting requests from experiments.
- Acting as liaison between experimenters and laboratory staff regarding beam conditions during accelerator operation.
- Advising experimenters on the proposal process.
Program planning also assists the Director in monitoring progress and planning for the future, by:
- Organizing and chairing regular meetings with experimenters and laboratory groups.
- Organizing experiment Operational Readiness Reviews.
- Assisting in planning and organizing the Physics Advisory Committee Meetings.
- Developing experiment schedules according to guidance from the Director.
- Organizing other reviews, briefings and meetings to inform program-planning decisions, as needed.